Saturday, December 15, 2007

Holiday Preparations

I am at work this Saturday afternoon. It's a fairly familiar place for me as of late. Right now I am looking out over Riverwoods in Provo, Utah. Although I do have a beautiful view of Cascade and Timpanogos Mountains, I think some weekends I would rather be looking down a ski slope or even just looking at at t.v. screen. But Sarah made me promise that I would work long enough this weekend to support her extravagant lifestyle. (Just kidding -- anyone who knows Sarah knows she is low-maintenance . . . monetarily that is.)

What I wanted to post about today concerns my thoughts on the Christmas season and my focus this time of year.

Related to what I have to say on this topic is the fact that I am so grateful I am married to Sarah. Of course there are numerous reasons why I am grateful for Sarah; but today (on the way to the BYU tennis courts at 5:20 a.m.) I got to feeling blessed for being with someone who, for the most part, looks at life much the same way I do. For instance, we both (generally) are fairly non-material (at least I think so) when it comes to buying things for ourselves. We don't shop to shop and we try to budget. (An interesting tidbit is that Sarah sometimes talks about getting new make-up from Dillards or somewhere because they give a "free gift" with a purchase. I give her a hard time because what is a "free gift" when you have to buy something to get it???) I don't get it.


Nonetheless, this will be our first Christmas together being married and we are both looking forward to it. A while back we discussed what we wanted to do for Christmas in terms of presents and such. We both decided that we would use money that we would otherwise have spent on ourselves to give to a family in our ward or area who have children whose Christmas could use some brightening. When I think of families together who go without, I can't help but get a lump in my throat. Maybe it's because when I was a child we never had much. But then again, I guess I never consciously thought about what I did and didn't have.

But to get back to the topic, I feel really blessed that I am with a person who cares for others more than herself. And it isn't caring for show; Sarah serves and spends her time thinking of and building up those around her. For that, I am grateful.

Anyway, my feelings on Christmas have evolved quite a bit over the last 30 years. As a kid, Christmas was only a time to look forward to because of presents and being out of school. Now, Christmas is a special time for me because it is a time when I get to relax just enough to be able to spend time and connect with family. I sometimes get the question of why I came back to Utah after law school. For me, despite enjoying my time in school in Michigan and Colorado, I couldn't imagine a life where I wasn't surrounded by my family. So Christmas, in my evolved view, is a time of year in which my thoughts focus even more narrowly on family.

- - - I promise that I won't be as mushy in my future posts - - -

7 comments:

Nathan said...

This was a great post. I am also grateful you married Sarah. I've noticed how much she cares about others as well and it means alot...

By the way, it's nice to hear you get mushy every now and then--

after all, I think you got it from me or at least from all the Celine Dion and Whitney Houston I made you listen to!

cathy said...

This made me teary eyed, maybe because I'm pregnant or is it because I live so far away and rarely get to see all my family. Anyways, it makes me appreciate the time I do get to spend with all of you!-now I'm crying!!

Fordney said...

Andy- it is nice to see that you have a softer side and really do appreciate Sarah- after all the crap you give her and tease her about- it is a refreshing change.

By the way, I love getting the stupid free gift. I totally know where Sarah is coming from. I love Cliniques eye makeup remover and I specifically wait until it's their free gift time to purchase it. I know it is silly, but as a girl, there is something fun about getting a little bag full of makeup products that you may or may not ever use. So let Sarah buy her makeup and "free gift"- it's just fun.

sarahlouise said...

Thanks for your support sarah, i'm glad someone else understands.
I try to explain the excitement of Free Gifts to andy and he just laughs. I guess if you get all technical, yah, it's weird it is called a 'free gift' since it is not exactly free and should more appropriately be termed 'gift with purchase'. But who cares, you feel like your getting a steal of a deal! :)
I miss you Cathy and Nathan!!

martha corinna said...

You owe me for talking you into marrying Sarah (j/k, kind of). Sarah is awesome. Free gifts are awesome. Caring about others is awesome. And our family is awesome.
I hope you set aside enough money for a present for your most dear oldest sister:)
It is nice to see that the blog brings out your soft side. I am most acquainted with the sarcastic, teasing Andy.

mom said...

Andy
We are grateful to you for seeing Sarah's awesome strengths and loving her so kindly...
For you see, she saw admirable strengths in you that she loved beyond words.. We are all indeed blessed by your union..May God's hand continue to direct both of you now and forever...what a JOY you are to all of us...
your Sebring mom

Mrs. Misses said...

I, too, am subscribing to this softer side of Andy, although any side of Andy is a good one. You are all a fun family and I wouldn't be who I am without your brother, Nate, and I'm sure it transfers to every member of the family. You guys are amazing and I love to hear all about everything that you do. Hope you don't mind if I eavesdrop in on your blog, Andy (and Sarah). It's fun to hear about your life.

Maybe its the lawyer in you, Andy, that makes you upset about the wording of the "free gift" but free makeup is free makeup and you may the only one who doesn't get that.

Merry Christmas!